Consular, Passport and Visa Division

Transfer of Sentenced Persons to India

Q: My relative has been convicted of an offence in a foreign country and is currently serving his sentence in a prison in that country. Is there any arrangement by which he can come to India and serve the rest of his sentence in an Indian prison near his home town?

India has entered into prisoner transfer treaties with many nations that allow a person convicted of a crime to be transferred to his or her home country to serve the prison sentence. A prisoner who wants to be transferred should notify the Indian embassy or consulate of his or her desire. The application then must be approved by the foreign country and the Government of India. For the prisoner to serve the rest of his/her sentence in India, there must not be a standing appeal against his committal to prison in the foreign country.

For more details, please see the link:TSP Agreement List