H.E. Mr. Chandrikapersad Santokhi, President of the Republic of Suriname
Madam First Lady,
Hon'ble Ministers and Members of Parliament,
Ladies and Gentlemen,
1. I am greatly honoured to receive Suriname's highest distinction, "The grand ribbon in the honorary order of the Yellow Star."
2. This recognition holds tremendous significance, not only for me but also for the more than 1.4 billion people of India whom I represent.
3. I also dedicate this honor to the successive generations of the Indian-Surinamese community, who have played a stellar role in enriching the fraternal ties between our two countries.
4. President Santokhi has often emphasized the significance of my ascent to the highest position within my nation, as a source of inspiration, particularly for women hailing from historically deprived regions or communities.
5. If this honor serves as a beacon of empowerment and encouragement for women in both our countries, then it becomes even more meaningful.
6. Furthermore, receiving this decoration during the historic commemoration of the 150th anniversary of Indian arrival in Suriname makes it more special. This is also a tribute to the indelible contribution made by the Indian community towards the socio-economic development of Suriname. It is an acknowledgment of their invaluable role in shaping the fabric of this nation.
7. I extend my heartfelt gratitude to the President of Suriname and the Government of Suriname for bestowing upon me this remarkable honor, which I will forever cherish. This recognition symbolises the enduring bonds of friendship and cooperation between our two nations.
June 05, 2023